Tuesday, May 8, 2007

NPR, please stay strong



Dear producers of the Diane Rehm Show,

I am writing from New York City in support of Monica Holloway, author of DRIVING WITH DEAD PEOPLE.

I was deeply disappointed to learn that you pulled her interview from your show at the request of some of the perpetrators of her abuse. This is exactly the sort of behavior that encourages other survivors of abuse to keep silent, whereas I thought NPR tried to inspire individuals to speak up, to speak the truth, and not to shy away from the tough topics.



This is a tough topic that needs addressing. Monica Holloway is no James Frey. She has 100% support from her other sister, who has also spent years trying to recover from their painful childhoods, if that's the sort of empirical evidence you need. But I would hope that you would trust the clarity of her voice and the honest, human struggle she illuminates so powerfully in her book and her life (as opposed to the apparent ego and posturing of James Frey and his work).

I recently left book publishing after 12 years in editorial and marketing. The media, and NPR in particular, didn't used to shy away from the hard questions and the challenging voices. NPR was always the ideal forum to unite authors tackling tough issues with the readers ready to address them.

Please show your support not only of the book you clearly loved from the start, and the author who touches the heart (and funny bone) of every person she meets, but even more importantly, of the truth, particularly the hard truths, the ones that are so difficult and yet so vital to bring to light.

DRIVING WITH DEAD PEOPLE is an important, moving, deeply honest, and--what's more--ridiculously entertaining, page-turning book. But you already know that. Please continue to be fearless and inspirational in your programming. For countless reasons, the world needs NPR to stand strong now more than ever.



If you'd like to join me and write to the Diane Rehm show, click here.

14 comments:

kario said...

You go, girl! What a terrific letter.

Jerri said...

Excellent letter, Ms. M. Excellent.

I've already written to NPR, but if I hadn't your letter sure would inspire me to do so.

Love to you.

Anonymous said...

Kim, This is such a well written letter! I also wrote one, thanks to your link. However, it was not even close to being as powerful as yours. I am so glad you wrote this, it was amazing!! Lets hope NPR and Diane Rehm actually hear our voices. I think this is so important! So frustrating how they are treating Monica.

Jess said...

I already wrote, too. But not this well. Great great letter, love the perspective you were able to add to it.

I do hope they hear us. We do so need NPR to rise above this stuff, I certainly expect more from them than most media outlets.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto everyone else, Kimmy Pie! You get to take the A on best letter! If anything is going to work, this will!

Deb Shucka said...

Your words go right to the core in such a positive way they can't help but hear you. Thanks for the link. Thank you for your inspiration. Absolutely powerful writing!

Monica said...

Kim, thank you so much for that incredible letter. It's so inspiring to me to read those words. I'm working through so much - the good and the bad of it - but it's all new to me because I've never done it with support from women like you. Ever. This is a whole new way of life for me, and I don't know how to thank you. I've always had friends, but I chose to isolate myself when I was in pain. Believe me, stepping into this circle is the healing way. I love you.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Beautiful Kim!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say Happy Mother's Day!!

jennifer said...

Very brave, very nice! Thank you Kim. You are a wonderful voice in the chorus of voices.

hg said...

Perfect letter, Kim. If I had read it before sending mine, I would have just cut and pasted.

Anonymous said...

So well done, so strong! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Well said.
I know Monica, and her sister. As a matter of fact, her sister lived with me, and I saw first hand the devistating effect the monster they called dad had on them. NPR should be ashamed of themselves to give in to the pressure of these so called parents. I will also be writing to NPR. I had the chance to speak to "Joann" (not her real name) and she told me they were supposed to be coming to town the week before Memorial day to be on the show, but I didn't hear back. Now I know why. What a travesty. Again, the girls father continues to not allow them to heal.

Anonymous said...

My letter to NPR...

I was wondering why I didn't get a call or an e-mail from Monica Holloway's sister letting me know when they would be in town. I have to say, I am disappointed to have heard that you pulled the interview because of pressure from her family...the ones that caused them both so much pain. I lived wih Monica's sister shortly after she was discharged from PIW. If you had witnessed the tragic result of the crimes that were committed against these two children, and continued to haunt them as adults, you would never bow to pressure from the culprits, who are still hiding their crimes, and hiding behind lawers. Cowards. Change your minds, and put them both on your show, so they can tell their stories. They don't use their real names, and Monica's sister changed her last name years ago, so she would not be associated with the family that ruined her childhood, and the majority of her adult life. Her parents are the criminals. Don't let them silence these two women yet again.