Monday, February 26, 2007

Sacred Mess

Stay together friends.
Don't scatter and sleep.
Our friendship is made
of being awake.
--Rumi

I annointed two kitchens with coffee this weekend, watched it erupt out of cups and pots, the dark liquid running along counters and dripping on floors, as hands with towels rushed to contain it and voices immediately comforted: no problem, don't worry. There was a lot of stuff around, a box of tissues here, a notebook there, gleaming laptops strewn on the floor among pillows, plates of nuts and cookies balancing precariously on oatmeal rugs, cream couches.

Sweaters nestled in loose wrinkles on shoulders and around collarbones, hair softened and curled in the humid air, socks and slippers snuggled unevenly on ankles and around toes. Eye makeup didn't stand a chance, as tears welled and rolled down cheeks, noses pink with emotion and empathy and love.

In the evenings, when smaller groups gathered, glasses fell off the side of the hot tub like apples from trees, knocked by passionate arms that could not be contained, moving with the rising voices and laughter in the night sky. They fell behind there, don't worry, there is no glass in our pathway.

The chaos of women's voices was a gorgeous, messy music, and our chorus leader, conducting with hands large enough to hold us all, took our breath away at every turn. There will be no turning these voices off. Until the middle of the night they pierced the air; belly laughter, open-mouthed gasps, and heartbroken tears, in concert together.

Finally, the last of us must separate, for a short time tonight, and a much longer time tomorrow. I brush the crumbs and pistachio shells off the sheets where we've been sitting and climb in. Okay, I will go to bed now. But I will never really be asleep again.

13 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Gorgeous!!!!! I am so thrilled and honored to know you, the woman, the mother, the Wonder Twin, and now the writer!!!

riversgrace said...

Yes, so lovely. I cannot tell you how glad I am to have met you...really met with you, in the way people long to meet. Real selves. Truth-telling. May it all grow and unfold. Love your writing and your spirit.

Deb Shucka said...

You captured the weekend perfectly. I'm honored and amazed to have been a part of it and to have met you as you step off the train into the grass.

Jess said...

Wonderful post, you totally nailed it. I am really glad to have met you and look forward to reading your blog.

Onward!

Jess said...

And PS I love that quote,
it's great.

Jerri said...

The quote is great. Going up on the bulletin board today.

The post is lovely. Lovely.

The woman is unfolding and I am honored to be present for the unfolding.

hg said...

You couldn't have captured it more beautifully. So glad you changed trains and I got to met you in the station.

Can't wait to read more. Watch it all roll by through your windows.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Oh!

So beautiful.

Brilliant writing! Your last line killed me.

kario said...

Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already by these terrific women.

I am so glad you started this blog. I am so glad to be lucky enough to read it and glean its wisdom. Hope your trip home was safe and your daughter and husband welcome the wide-awake you with open, open arms.

Jenny said...

I can tell I'm really going to enjoy your blog. I love your writing style...

Anonymous said...

Ah Kim, I feel fortunate to be part of this experience with you. You are as radiant on the page as you are in person. Looking forward to reading more. I love your voice. xo

jennifer said...

So great to see you writing, just love it. LOVE YOU!

Suzy said...

Boy did you capture the weekend.
Best part of all was you being there.