Monday, June 11, 2007

Cringe-worthy


Do you ever have those moments when you feel really embarrassed for yourself even though no one (who knows any better) is there to judge you? Like if, for example, alone in your home, you have an elaborate stumble that starts with a simple "oops" but doesn't end until two additional collisions and six full seconds of tottering later, at which point you force a chuckle and make some little joke about how you "meant to do that"...but there's no one there.

Or, let's say you suddenly realize that you are singing some complicated madrigal harmony along with the Peter, Paul, and Mommy CD in a voice that is far too loud and expressive for the venue, which is not an American Idol audition, a highway road trip, or even the shower, but standing at the changing table cleaning a poopy diaper. And this diaper, it should be noted, belongs to a certain poor person who has been forced, with no say in the matter, to listen to what you wish you could call a sweet serenade, but is really more like a full-blown concert. To her butt.

Just wondering. Because I'm beginning to think that perhaps I am not spending enough time with people who count their ages in years instead of months.

11 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

I'm sure Belly is totally entertained by her mom and would not have it any other way.

Of course we might need to get YOU a playdate with some other grown-ups soon.

Deb Shucka said...

You didn't say how Belly responded to your concert. It does sound like a karaoke bar might need to be in your future.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

If you can't sing to the butt, you're not getting all there is to get out of life! BTW, which Peter, Paul and Mommy song? I have the CD myself - grew up with that album on vinyl - know ALL the words to ALL the songs! Let's get big with it next time we're together!

Anonymous said...

What Wifey failed to also mention is that she owns a fully functioning electric keyboard that she threatens to use someday on the subway platform, presumably to help make more spending money.
- Hubby...

Jess said...

I am sure your singing is much appreciated! Entertainment during diaper-changing is so important.

Personally, I am looking forward to belting out some tunes in the appropriate venue of my little car on a long road trip, where there will be no witnesses.

Ask Me Anything said...

My kids first words were, "stop singing mom", I swear.

kario said...

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Just wait, someday she'll beg you to sing to her like you used to.

Anonymous said...

I sing to my cats, really silly songs:

She's a kitty
A wonderful kitty
She's so pretty,
I love her more and more each day...

over and over.

Does that make you feel any better? :) t

susan said...

I've sang to the butt, but it's been many years.

My biggest "cringe-worthy" moment is when I'm flying down the highway alone, singing very loudly and expressively to music that is turned up much, much louder than it would ever be with the kids in the car ... enjoying myself, lost in the song ...

... and suddenly I see someone in the lane next to me, quite bemused, not quite laughing yet, but on the verge of it ...

Oh!

Anonymous said...

I bet Belly is loving her Mommy's singing and will soon be asking for requests! Sadly, the day comes when they beg you to stop singing. Hannah said to me once, when I was singing to her (she use to love when I sang) "you were born to be my mommy, not a singer." So I say enjoy it while you can, you have permission to be a total goof and have fun with it. I know Belly does.

Jerri said...

I prescribe adult play dates. Stat.

However, you haven't really lived til you've warbled madrigals to a tiny butt. You haven't begun to flower as a person until you're excusing yourself to thin air.

Don't worry. It's okay to talk to yourself. It's when you start to disagree with yourself in public that you need to worry.