Monday, April 16, 2007

Blogger Bipolar Disorder

It's already been a week since I posted, which is longer than I like to go. I've decided that I am struggling with BBD (blogger bipolar disorder), sprinkled with a light dusting of OCD and topped with a cherry of this problem.

For example, I had a terrific walk and lunch with the lovely, sparkling, and fabulously talented Monica recently, just days after finishing her unbelievable book, but by the time I got Isabel to bed that night I was so tired that I felt like I couldn't do it justice. You need lots of energy to write about a woman that fabulous and a book that incredible. (Plus I was very irked that I forgot my camera, which didn't help.) So here I am nearly two weeks later and I still haven't written about it.

Or I'll be walking with Isabel in the park and will have these interesting thoughts about life (to me, anyway). I'll get very excited: ooh, that is definitely my next blog post. What a thought-provoking, clearly memorable topic I'll address--perfect. And by the time Isabel's in bed...poof, out the window of my sleep-deprived brain it's flown, and in place of these so-called interesting, memorable thoughts are just some clunkers about our filthy laundry room and why there are only ever 2 working dryers in this 20 story building. Valid concern perhaps, but hardly an interesting blog post.

Or days like today, which isn't funny at all. I was excited to post about Isabel's little first birthday party yesterday, which was a tiny piece of heaven on earth, but I turned on my computer and learned of the horrific tragedy at Virginia Tech, and I'm just too sad to write about it right now.

So, what I've decided to do today is:
1. work on continuing to shed my editorial self and become less picky about my posts (eg. requiring the perfect state of mind, continuing to correct every typo, etc.);
2. pray for the victims of this unspeakable crime, for their families, and for this world that is full of so much violence and kindness, hate and love, all at the same time;
3. post a happy picture of Belly and her Grammy (my dearest mom) at the party.

Love.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, stop with the bow! I cannot take how cute she is with that bow!

Thanks for the plug to my blog, Sister. I think your words, "sleep deprived" hold the answer to all the issues you face, bipolar, OCD, delayed grat., perfectionism, blah, blah, blah. You have a toddler! Expect MUCH less of yourself than you do! Lower your sites to such a level that getting dressed and wearing make-up makes the day a "success"!

We love you no matter what, make sure you feel the same way about yourself!

Love,
Little Miss Know-It-All

Michelle O'Neil said...

Yes, God bless V Tech and all associated.



P.S. Sweet Jesus, you have to lug your laundry 20 flights of stairs and fight for a dryer? With a baby? You deserve a raise.

Anonymous said...

Belly and Grammy smiles are what it is all about. You are so blessed. It is a reminder to me that no matter how crazy my life gets or how frightening the world gets, it comes down to the smiles of the ones we love. What a beautiful picture and a very touching and honest post. I completely relate! Thanks, it gave me a lot to reflect on in my own world.

Deb Shucka said...

I agree with Little Miss Know-It-All. You have a very full plate. And you are very worth waiting for. And you give so much to the rest of us in so many ways.

Isabel and your mom - the joy jumps off the screen!

The heartbreak of Virginia - those poor sad families tonight.

riversgrace said...

The best is when you just tell it like it is...especially the baby brain part - girlfriend, the memory thing won't return for awhile! So just enjoy the moment and let it all go. I love reading whatever you write. And the photos are icing on the cake.

Yes, prayers and blessings tonight.

Suzy said...

Senseless hardly describes the V Tech tragedy.
All prayers for the family and campus.

Yes, Little Miss Know it All, does somehow know it all.
And besides with this perfection thing, you are perfectly wonderful!!

Can your mom look any happier?
Love you,
Suzy

kario said...

Note to Kim: the memory goes out with the placenta. Whatever you have left will go out with subsequent placentas. Keeping pencils and notecards handy (or drycleaning receipts) to jot down flights of fancy about blog posts is the only way I ever remember anything.

Love this post, love the photo, love that you're learning to be nicer to yourself.

Anonymous said...

I love the slices of life you're dishing up. I love that you actually find the time to blog with such a big and busy girl to care for, and am amazed that any of us can do this with such a messy world to worry over and pray for. We do what we can do! Thank you for every word that makes it to the page. Each one is a gift. xo t

holly said...

She is so adorable!

Totally with you on the come and go flow of thoughts. I have this list of things to blog that never seems to dip below five (not including the stuff that evaporates.)

Two working dryers for 20 floors? OMG! That's ridiculous!I'll be looking for that post, when you have time!

Jess said...

What a happy and loving grammy!! What a cute bow. Please kiss her fuzzy head for me.

So familiar to me, this blogger disorder (you so nailed it!), and I don't even have kids (well, not every day). Yeah, cut yourself some slack, take notes on scraps of paper, and do what you can do.

Oh yeah, I've had a hard time doing any justice to Monica on my blog, too.

Shari said...

Your daughter is such a cutie. What a blessing. My girls are already 7 and 12.

I go through that, too. Oooh, a good blog topic. I need to have a memo pad and pen handy do keep it in my head. The only thing is, is that if I do write something down-I'll remember it. Murphy's Law, huh?

Take care.

jennifer said...

There is as much power in the times that we rest, as the time that we work. Notice how we need 8 hours a night to sleep...that's because so much is happening! So, space between posts is just letting the fertile soil rest. Patience! Patience!!!