Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It's a truce

There are days when New York City really kicks your ass. When you can't get anywhere and can't get anything accomplished. When your apartment feels even smaller than it is and your building feels like a battleground. When it feels like it costs twenty bucks just to cross the street.

Today was not one of those days.

Today, the weather was in the mid-70's, blue skies, lots of sunshine, and a gentle spring breeze. Isabel and I packed the stroller, slathered up with sunscreen, and headed to the park.



On our way out the door, Isabel got to flirt and play with Sixto, our amazing doorman who makes her smile and laugh like crazy. Sixto doesn't just sign for packages--he calls a car when I'm late and can't find a cab, he gives our diabetic cat twice daily insulin shots when we're away, he buys presents for Isabel at every opportunity, and he makes our day brighter every time we see him.

Two blocks from home, I picked up a drink for the picnic. I happened to choose an iced chai latte today, but I could have had a strong cup of Paris-quality coffee, a Kombucha tea, a veggie smoothie, a mango lassie, a shot of wheat grass, a shot of whiskey, a 1989 Bordeaux, a pomegranate margarita...you name it, it is available within two blocks of my front door.

Ten minutes and one very pleasant walk later, and Isabel and I entered one of my favorite places on earth, Central Park. It was packed with school kids on lunch breaks, running with balls and bouncing on benches, their peals of laughter bursting like gentle fireworks into the gorgeous day. The lush lawn near our entrance was finally open, so we rolled in and spread out under a tree in a dappled piece of shade and sun. Belly had a few skittish moments when she first left the blanket--What's all this soft green stuff again? Where are the cement blocks, the metal scaffolding, the cigarette butts? Can a person really touch this stuff?--but then had a wonderful time.



There were friends galore to be made today: Schuyler, Alex, their smiling nannies, three rambunctious Spanish kids with their funny, relaxed mom and her mother, who didn't speak a word of English but had a great husky laugh. Then there were all the other people we didn't meet but got to watch: kids from all over the world, speaking Chinese, Russian, French, you name it, running past people who looked like artists, students, writers, activists, drifters, investment bankers, beginners, old-timers ...you name it. No matter who you were, today was a day you had to hit the park.

After lunch and lots of sunny playtime, we rolled along one of the winding pathways, past the green trees and Victorian lampposts, and into the playground. As we entered, we could feel everyone's happy mood wash over us like the cherry blossoms that blew in the balmy air, and there was one empty swing waiting with Isabel's name on it. She kicked and giggled, turning her body to one side and then the other--there was just so much to look at.



Danny was working the door when we got home, and we smiled and talked about the fabulous weather. Later I decided I wanted to get a few groceries for dinner, so I strapped Isabel on my back and we strolled to the health food store two and a half blocks away. She smiled at people from behind my back, they had everything we needed, and we were back home in 20 minutes.

After Isabel's dinner, we stood looking out the window at the street below like we usually do, watching the taxis and buses and people coming home from work. Belly stood on the radiator and pressed her forehead to the glass. As I leaned in close and kissed her cheek from behind, I thanked New York City for being so magical.

On days like today.

18 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Love that last line. Perfect follow up to your last post. You're KILLING me with the sailor dress! And Sixto? I'm in LOVE with Sixto!

Suzy said...

....and two magical beings enjoying the day.

Love you and Isabel!

Suzy

Suzy said...

Where's the photo of you in YOUR sailor dress???

Jerri said...

As Carrie said, this is the perfect follow up to your previous post.

Thanks for letting us look into your world. What a pleasure!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Insulin shots for the cat?

You need to take Sixto with you when you move.

Beautiful pictures!

Ask Me Anything said...

That was just the antidote!

Ask Me Anything said...

That was just the antidote!

kario said...

What a fantastic juxtaposition from your previous post! I love how simple your desires were and how exquisite the pleasures. What a terrific mother you are to recognize the small but incredibly meaningful things that make a beautiful day!

Love.

Deb Shucka said...

I absolutely love the contrast between these two posts.

I was kind of hoping to see Belly's bare feet on that grass, though.

Thank you for sharing and for doing it in a way that allowed me to be in Central Park with you.

Anonymous said...

You made it sound so magical, I wish I was there hanging out,taking in all the wonderful sights, sounds and people. Isabel could not be much cuter. She looks like she is having a ball, exploring her green world. Thanks for letting us come along.

riversgrace said...

Followed you through the streets, through the park, back home, and to that moment of kissing cheeks from behind....so sweet. Ditto Terry.

holly said...

I'm as relaxed after this post as I was beat after the last. Love to see what New York city looks like to you from day to day.

Your tone in each piece so beautifully captures the days they describe.

And keep the sweet pictures coming! What a cutie.

Jess said...

Wonderful post. Adorable girl. New York is so many things... Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Kim! I just love the energy of this post, and the pictures, uf! They're the icing on the proverbial cake. Thank you for sharing your day with us. xo t

Jenny said...

Sounds like a great day!

The Working Mother and The Stay-at-Home Mom said...

Isabel gets cuter by the day! and love when kids discover grass...so amazing!

jennifer said...

Perfect day, perfect post, perfect writing, perfect mommy, perfect you!

Monica said...

Your writing is the magic. I felt like I was walking along with you. And those pictures made me so happy - I can't take Isabel's sailor dress and gorgeous face - she's too yummy.
You described the perfect day. I'm going to keep that in my palm so I can pull it out anytime and go there with you. Loved this.