Sunday, March 25, 2007

fantastic music



Yesterday we went to a concert and had a total blast. The artist is an old friend from college, and I have been a fan of his music since sophomore year (that's 1989 if you must know). We danced our asses off, rocked the mosh pit, sang every word, and whooped at the top of our lungs after every song.

Now, don't think that my husband* and I have changed our early bird ways: this concert was at two in the afternoon and the mosh pit was 4 feet high, max. And it was AWESOME. Justin Roberts, after years of making amazing music for grown-ups on his own and with the acclaimed indie group Pimentos for Gus (which included one of my best friends in the world Tracy Spuehler--more about her in a different post), began his illustrious children's music career when he was teaching at a Montessori school in Minneapolis (to make money to support his music career). For fun, he began writing some of his own songs for the kids and casually recorded several of them as a Christmas present for friends. Let's just say, they were amazing and it caught on.

Many awards, country-wide tours, one great Today Show appearance and several TV videos later, he has 5 children albums and is a huge success. Here is how terrific these albums are: I have been listening to them for YEARS. My child (who already loves the music) is not quite ONE. This is no Wiggles--it's smart and incredibly fun music that parents love as much as the kids. Great Big Sun, Yellow Bus, and Meltdown are my favorites.


*Henceforth, I will refer to my husband the way I first plugged him into my cell phone when we started dating: as TT. This stands for Testosterone Tommy and was inspired by actual events which, trust me, is a very good thing. That is, if memory serves...we do have a new toddler in the house after all.

5 comments:

Suzy said...

TT huh???? Can't wait to meet him!
GREAT NAME!!!!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Makes me want to go have another kid just to listen to that music - NOT! But almost!

LOVE TT. What an image!

holly said...

Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to check out this music!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Always looking for new kids music that I can actually tolerate. Thanks for the tip.

Your husband has arrived. He got his blog name.

Next time we're in NY, TT and HT can get together for a beer (or a coke in HT's case)to commiserate.

: )

Monica said...

Oh my god, TT. Hilarious. Should I call him that on Sunday? No? Okay.