Sunday, March 11, 2007

Simple Pleasures


Isabel and I spent the weekend in one of my very favorite places--the company of women. And on Saturday, dear friends of my dear friend gathered for brunch to celebrate friendship and her nuptials, coming this summer. Her 12-year old son has some change to swallow, but he is happy for her. It's been a long road for this amazing woman.

One of her friends--the beautiful artist friend I have met several times throughout the years--was buzzing with excitement over a gorgeous ring she had been obsessing about and finally bought at an estate auction house the night before. A large rectangular aquamarine sat confidently in a boxy, stacked gold setting that looked perfect with her long fingers. One look at that arresting, watery stone, that lovely muted gold, and you knew there was a rich history there. Although she got a great deal on it, it was not an easy purchase for an artist to make. But there was no buyer's remorse here: her smile sparkled brighter than the ring. She explained it this way:

Several months ago, she was browsing around an herbal wellness store with a friend who is a homeopathic doctor. She was casually sampling various scents when she came upon one that made her giggle and smile automatically. She smelled it again, and then went to put it back down with the others. Her friend immediately stopped her, asking why she would put back something that made her react that way? How could you ignore a reaction like that? So she realized something: the scent of grapefruit made her giggle. And since then, she has made an effort to buy grapefruits and the occasional grapefruit shampoo, or cream, or whatever to make her smile.

This artist makes jewelry and spends a great deal of time with beads. Recently, she realized that aquamarine did the same thing to her as grapefruit: it made her giggle. She thought many stones were beautiful, but for whatever reason the attraction was stronger with aquamarine--it worked with her chemisty, it made her happy.

So when she saw this ring, she fell in love. She figured out the money. She visited the ring, and counted the days until the auction. She wore an aquamarine bracelet to attract the ring to her, to make her hand seem a welcoming home. The old couple standing near her heard the story, and routed for her all the way. And as nervous as she was, she made herself keep bidding and made it happen.

What she didn't say, but I knew, was this: she learned about this auction house because of a heartbreaking family tragedy, and most of the time she spent there was very painful. The day I saw her, yesterday, was the one-year anniversary of this family tragedy--a very painful day. But we didn't talk about that at this bridesmaids brunch. Her finger sparkled with a blue-green light, a talisman that was not about materialism, but survival. Not about jewelry, but about finding strength in beauty and joy in something simple and precious.

I can't stop thinking about this ring and what it represents. How easy it seems but how hard it can be to find and hold our simple pleasures, to gather them around ourselves so they are there when we need them. Today, I was singing and dancing with Isabel to Lyle Lovett's album 'I Love Everybody.' I adore this album. I know every word, every note, every nuance of every chorus. I saw him in concert when he toured for this album, many years ago. And I asked myself: why is this the only Lyle Lovett album I own? How can I have ignored how happy it makes me? So I am going to buy more. And I am going to listen.

12 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

What a great story! And a great reminder.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Love everything about this, Kimmy Pie!

kario said...

This is such a terrific story. I love her friend that told her not to ignore her happy reactions. What a great lesson!

Jerri said...

Me, too. Love this, I mean.

And I'm going to listen.

Thanks.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

BTW, look at your ClustrMap filling up! Isn't it interesting where you pick up readers?

Jenny said...

Just this morning I was wondering why I bought oranges to eat for breakfast. I like oranges, but LOVE grapefruit.

Great lessons in this post. Enjoy your new albums!

riversgrace said...

Gosh, what a lovely story, and a lovely rendering, too. You really notice. Then it all filters through your sweetness, depth and sweetness, and it turns into a great story.

Deb Shucka said...

You have a gift for telling stories that teach in a way that reaches deeply into my heart. Wouldn't it be cool to know what each of our "grapefruits" is?

Suzy said...

Your writing and observations are so "you". Insightful. loving and caring.
Love you.

Jerri said...

Listened to the album at your recommendation and then downloaded. LOVE this music!!!!!

Thanks, Kim.

jennifer said...

Really great post, Kim, you are doing so great...all this time, the writer lurking within! Who knew??

Monica said...

What a great story, Kim. This is so moving and so beautifully written. Another great reminder - to pay attention.